This toolkit is designed to show you how eco-driving can save your business and staff money, and also make them safer drivers.
Eco-driving techniques can reduce fuel consumption by up to 10%. When 50 AA employees took part in an eco-driving experiment with Auto-Express magazine they saved on average 10% on their weekly fuel bills with the best achieving a 33% reduction.
This toolkit offers information on:
Eco-driving can save your business and staff money, and also make them safer drivers. Eco-driving techniques can reduce fuel consumption by up to 10%. When 50 AA employees took part in an eco-driving experiment with Auto-Express magazine they saved on average 10% on their weekly fuel bills with the best achieving a 33% reduction.
If you use hire cars or pool cars this could save your company money on fuel costs.
These five smart driving techniques will save you fuel costs and improve road safety, as well as the quality of the environment
- Anticipate Traffic Flow: Read the road as far ahead as possible and anticipate the flow of traffic. Act instead of react; increase your scope of action with an appropriate distance between vehicles to use momentum.
- Drive smoothly and maintain a steady speed: Steady speeds require less effort for the engine and avoiding unnecessary acceleration and heavy breaking reduces fuel consumption.
- Shift up early and use the highest possible gear at low RPM: Shift to higher gear at approximately 2.000 RPM. Consider the traffic situation, safety needs and vehicle specifics.
- Keep tyres properly inflated: Low tyre pressure is a safety risk and wastes fuel. Check tyre pressures frequently depending on the use of the vehicle (use car’s manual for further information)
- Be aware that extra energy used costs fuel and money. Use air conditioning and electrical equipment wisely and switch it off when not needed. Avoid dead weight and aerodynamic drag by emptying your boot, remove roof bars and other unnecessary items.
Alternatively, your staff can watch free eco-driving online videos. These videos include information and guidance on smooth gear changing, braking and acceleration, anticipation of road hazards, tyre pressures and awareness of other road users’ behaviour. View the online 4 minute film for some very useful tips.
As part of your business travel policy, require drivers who register as essential users to watch the online video on eco-driving or (if feasible) attend an eco-driving training course.
Copy and paste the text below and simply email to your staff to promote the benefits of eco-driving.
If you drive to work every day take a minute to read this email which will help you save money on fuel and make you a safer driver. By making modest changes to your driving style you could:
- use less fuel on every journey made
- save money
- reduce your CO2 emissions
- be a safer driver
Watch this 4 minute film for some top eco-safe driving tips:
But, if you haven’t got time to watch the film, make sure you:
Check your tyre pressures regularly
- Stay within speed limits – At 70mph you could be using up to 9% more fuel than at 60mph
- Anticipate the road ahead – sharp braking and hard acceleration could be losing you money and causing dangerous situations.
Let us know if you notice a difference!